Friday, 2 October 2009

Newpaper Prototype Evaluation

For this newspaper prototype I studied the covers of a range of newspapers looking for the general conventions and created my own upon this. I included all the elements I felt were important; a big newspaper name with the date and price clearly nearby. The main story took up about two thirds of the page, but with only two collums and not to much writing, so that people are drawn to turn to the pages inside, especially from the large heading, subheading and photo. I tried to make the style of writing sound like a journalist’s article too with the language and grammar used.
The other things I included were typical of most newspapers I had looked at previously. I put in a competition to win a holiday, and advert I made for a film (‘The Package’-my short film) using a screen shot from the film and a quote. I also included a CD inside – Michael Jackson because it was relevant at the time, a greatest hits because he had just died.
Another part I added in was the fashion part, which is eyecatching and should make people turn inside as it grabs the attention. It brings another dimension to the newspaper by widening the audience using fashion.

'The Package' Evaluation

I worked with Matt Pettifer on this short film. We were given the title 'The Package' and told we had to make a short film - about one minute long. This film could be of any genre and narrative, just following the conventions of a film.
First, we brainstormed ideas on the story, and then planned how we were going to include each shot with use of a story board. After the preparation we got our cast and went out to film. We found that the longest part of the job was probably the editing. I think the way we have cut the scenes together and made use of the song by timing it with the actions worked especially well.
I personally feel some of the best parts included the first few scenes of the three boys running to the car and the different shots taken from different places to get them there, I think this was good tripod work. Along with the pulling off and stopping of the car timed with the music and the comedy part of it. Although we did film one bit wrong where the bollard was already in front of the car before they drove off and then it suddenly moved, this was a mistake which we acknowledged, just ran out of time to fix. Although i thought this shot with the doors all closing at once worked really well. The scene just before with the door locks being unlocked could have been filmed a lot better without the dissolve setting on the camera, and also a lot quicker.
In the last scene I think the zooming onto the package looked good, however was spoiled by the camera moving when the door knocks, this was another problem that could easily be fixed with more time.
Overall I feel we done a good job in the space of time we had to make the film. We got to experiment with the camera and discover which parts we were better at, and what needs work. It is good preparation for our coursework in which I shall be working with Matt again to produce a five minute long short film.